Danny is currently ranked 5th in England and 217th in the world. At the 2014 Commonwealth Games in Glasgow, he won silver in the men’s team event and bronze in the mixed doubles. He is training at the world-famous Werner Schlager Academy in Austria alongside a host of top international players. But he wants more!
After taking a year away from international table tennis last season, to finish his Psychology degree, he is back to playing full-time and has set himself a rather challenging goal – to break into the top 100 table tennis players in the world. In many ways, it’s almost like Danny has started his own Expert in a Year challenge. He is going to give it a year and see how close he can get to his dreams.
Back in Episode 10 I spoke to Rory Scott about his goal of becoming a top 100 player on the England ranking list in a year. I’ll be putting similar questions to Danny to try and find out how achievable he believes this goal is and what kind of training he is doing in order to make it happen. We also discuss why a player needs to break into the top 100 if they are to be able to make a stable career for themselves from the sport.
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Danny first started table tennis at Ormesby TTC in Middlesbrough.
- Why his coach Carole Moore was so influential in his rapid development.
- How much training Danny was doing as an 11-12 year old.
- All about his drive and determination to succeed even as a young boy.
- Why he decided to study for a degree alongside his table tennis.
- What he is currently working on (physically, technically, tactically and mentally).
- How tough it is to make a living playing professional table tennis.
- Danny’s plans for the next few years.
- Why Danny believes players must put themselves under pressure in practice (Top Tip).
- How to get in contact with Danny.
Links from this episode:
- The Expert in a Year Challenge
- Episode 10 with Rory Scott
- Ormesby TTC
- Paul Drinkhall
- Danny’s ITTF Ranking
- Commonwealth Games TT Results
- Werner Schlager Academy
- Sheffield Hallam University
- University of Nottingham Table Tennis
- Danny Reed on Twitter
Thanks for listening!
Thank you so much for joining us for Episode 25 of The Expert Table Tennis Podcast with Danny Reed. I would like to say a huge thank you to Danny for joining me on the show. I hope you enjoyed hearing all about his current goals and training. There were lots of things in the interview that you can apply to your game regardless of your level.
Please share the show
We absolutely smashed it in October and the show clocked up 6,169 downloads. I would like to say a huge thank you to everybody who has subscribed on iTunes, and left the show an honest iTunes Podcast review, shared it on Facebook or Twitter, or simply just mentioned it to a friend. We couldn’t have done it without you and I appreciate your help so much!
It would be amazing to beat that again in November and get up to 7,000 downloads but… the only way that is going to happen is if you guys get sharing on Facebook and Twitter. Please use the buttons located to the left and share this episode NOW!
Thank you so much.
Next week I’ve got Brett Clarke from ttEDGE on the show and we’ll be sharing loads of practical coaching tips to help you play better table tennis.