Sean O’Neill is one of the most knowledgeable and respected table tennis coaches in the USA. As a player, he represented USATT during the 80s and 90s, reaching a career high world ranking inside the top 100.
In 1995, Sean transitioned to coaching and has worked with a number of top USA players, as well thousands of beginners and improvers. Among some of his students are former guests on the show Brian Pace and Tahl Leibovitz!
This is an opportunity to hear from a really brilliant coach. I decided to keep the interview quite relaxed and simply let the conversation flow naturally. Along the way, Sean provides countless pearls of wisdom to help players and coaches of all levels. I know you are going to enjoy this one!
In this episode you’ll learn:
- How Sean got started in the sport and improved so quickly [1:00]
- Sean’s views on the future of table tennis [10:00]
- Why video analysis and scouting is so important [17:00]
- 3 tips for intermediate players [25:00]
- The important of good footwork and mastering the basics [32:00]
- Sean’s thoughts on The Expert in a Year Challenge [41.00]
- Encouragement to keep going when times are tough [46:00]
- How to contact Sean [52:00]
Links from this episode:
- Sean O’Neill (Wikipedia)
- Angby TTC
- George Braithwaite
- Erik Lindh (Wikipedia)
- Table Tennis Edge App
- Brian Pace’s Shadow Training
- The Expert in a Year Challenge
- Portland Table Tennis Club
Thanks for listening!
It was really great to chat to Sean O’Neill and learn from all of his table tennis wisdom and experience. I’m sure that whether you are a player or coach you will have picked up loads of useful tips for Sean.
What was your favourite tip from the episode? Leave a comment and let us know what you thought.
Please share the show
I know that lots of you guys are regularly sharing the podcast with other table tennis players all over the world. I just want to say thanks for all the help you’ve given me already! Please continue to support the show and subscribe on iTunes, leave us an honest iTunes Podcast review, share this episode on Facebook or Twitter, or simply just mention it to a friend. I appreciate your help so much!
I’ll be back in a month with a new guest and Episode #34 – to be released 1st May 2016.